Working in Ireland

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2019No comments


If you are moving – or thinking about moving – to Ireland, finding a job is probably going to be one of your priorities. It is a good idea, though not a requirement, to arrange employment and accommodation before you arrive.

It also makes sense to do some research into the opportunities available, the average rates of pay, and taxation issues. You should also check there are no restrictions that could stop you from working here.


In this document, we provide information and advice about coming to work in Ireland and about your rights when finding and securing a job as a foreign national employee.


This Citizens Information website does not carry any information about job vacancies for any sector of the Irish economy. We do not accept CVs and cannot forward them to employers on your behalf.



Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the Irish centre for the recognition of international qualifications. It has an International Qualifications Database. You need to know about how qualifications are recognised in Ireland and the mutual recognition of professional qualifications.


If you have a professional qualification, you should check with the Irish branch of your professional body about whether your qualifications are accepted in Ireland - see 'Professions and careers' below.

EU and EEA nationals

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national coming to work in Ireland, you are entitled to be treated like any other applicant when you apply for work. You are free to apply for any job vacancy, including jobs in the public sector. These include jobs in the Irish army and the Irish police force (An Garda Síochána), but not the Irish diplomatic service.

Note: the EEA (European Economic Area) comprises the European Union (EU) member states, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

European Employment Services (EURES)

Citizens of the EU/EEA are free to live and work in other member states without restriction. To facilitate the free movement of workers between member states, the EURES network has been established. It consists of each country's public employment service, working with the European Commission.

EURES aims to provide:

  • A European job placement service for jobseekers
  • Advice and guidance on how to look for a job in the EEA and the possibilities for finding work in another country
  • A recruitment service to employers who wish to recruit in EEA member states
  • Information on living and working conditions in EEA member states

Within each EU/EEA member state, workers and employers can get free information and advice about all these matters from specially trained placement officers (called EURES Advisers).The EURES website also provides information on jobs and living/working conditions in the EEA.

As an EEA jobseeker, you can post your CV on the EURES website, where it can be accessed by thousands of employers throughout the EEA. This will help to maximise your chances of securing employment.

Non-EEA nationals

In general, non-EEA nationals must have an employment permit to work in Ireland (with some exceptions) . Since 12 October 2007, non-EEA nationals who are carrying out scientific research for approved research organisations do not need an employment permit.

The permits include:

  • Critical Skills Employment Permits - for all occupations with an annual salary above €60,000 and for a restricted range of occupations with an annual salary above €30,000
  • General Employment Permits - mainly for occupations with salaries between €30,000 and €60,000 which are not eligible for a Critical Skills Employment Permit. The General Employment Permit application must meet a labour market test showing that the position could not be filled from within the EEA.

Your nearest Irish embassy or consulate will be able to provide information on whether you require a travel visa before coming to Ireland.

Casual work

Casual jobs are often advertised in shop windows, in shopping centres, through daily Irish newspapers and through employment agencies. You can register with recruitment agencies before arriving in Ireland and should look out for adverts in shops and newspapers when you are here.

While many casual jobs do not require any specific professional qualifications, it is a good idea to bring evidence of your education (such as secondary school certificates, diplomas, and degrees) with you to Ireland. It is also useful to bring an up-to-date CV/résumé in English, as employers will ask you about your experience, qualifications, skills and expertise.


Professions and careers

Finding a career job in Ireland will involve a little more planning than looking for casual work and may take longer. You should start applying for jobs before you travel. Almost all professions in Ireland have associations or societies that represent and often regulate their members. These associations can provide information on the recognition of professional qualifications, employment opportunities and careers. Search online for information, as almost all of these organisations have their own websites (pdf).


All employees, regardless of their nationality, experience, expertise or profession, are protected by the law in Ireland. These laws set down specific rules about minimum rates of payworking hoursleavehealth and safetychanging jobs and employment rights.

Rates for job agencies

Recruitment agencies rarely charge jobseekers for their services.

How to apply

CV: To apply for a job, you need to have a CV (curriculum vitae) or résumé in English. This is a summary or listing of your qualifications and work experience. You also should have the original certificates of your qualifications, with official copies in English. If you are in Ireland and need to have documents translated into English, you can get assistance from the embassy or consulate of your country.

Qualifications recognition: At Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), you can download a comparability statement for your qualification and a user guide (pdf).

Job applications: The job advert or recruitment agency will tell you how to apply for a specific job.

Permits: If you are a non-EEA national, you can find more information about General Employment Permits and Critical Skills Employment Permits on the website of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation.

Visas: If you need a visa, you must apply online for an Irish visa.

Find jobs in Ireland

Accounting Jobs Ireland
Previous PostNext Post

No comments on "Working in Ireland"